Do you want to make sure your writing is error-free and easy to read? Luckily, we no longer have to check every text manually or rely on Word’s spelling checker. We are blessed to have a variety of tools which save our time and provide qualitative grammar and spelling checking. Such a tool like Grammarly can help you avoid embarrassing typos and grammatical errors.
I discovered Grammarly approximately half a year ago. Since then it became one of my favorite tools and best assistant — it just works like a charm.
What exactly does Grammarly do?
Simply put, Grammarly is a writing tool that helps you check for the following types of errors.
- Grammar and punctuation
Firstly, I was surprised to learn that Grammarly corrects not only basic mistakes but also advanced ones. For example, the correlation of words or usage of the wrong preposition or verb form. What’s even better it provides real-time suggestions and guidelines on how to correct these mistakes.
It processes the text almost instantly, giving you the recommendations you need.
- Spell Check
Don’t overestimate your writing — we all make typos. And this is where Grammarly comes in handy keeping your writing mistake-free.
Grammarly detects plagiarism by comparing your writing to other texts across the web.
- Writing Style
In other words, you’ll get real-time insights about your readability score, sentence length, and so on. This is extremely helpful for adapting your style for a particular audience.
Ways to use Grammarly checker
There are a few ways you can use Grammarly software so you can pick the most comfortable for you.
- Copy and paste your text to Grammarly web application.
- Upload Microsoft Word document to Grammarly.
- You can actually use Grammarly as your primary writing app, by writing directly in the tool. As you type, Grammarly will automatically start pointing out errors.
4. Install Grammarly desktop app for Mac or Windows.
5. Likewise, Install Grammarly keyboard for Android or iOS. It can proofread your text while you’re writing on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other web pages and platforms.
6. Use Google Chrome extension to check short pieces of text, like emails, messages or social media posts.
How much does Grammarly cost?
Here are the Grammarly pricing options for 2019:
- Grammarly Premium monthly subscription costs $29.95
- Premium quarterly subscription costs $59.95
- Premium annual subscription costs $139.95.
However, you can also use the free version of Grammarly with a limited amount of features but still helpful. Grammarly keyboard for your mobile device is totally free.
How accurately does Grammarly carry out spell checking?
Grammarly helps identify:
- Confused prepositions
- Overuse of the passive voice
- Wordy sentences and repetitive words
- Common writing and grammar mistakes
- Lengthy sentences to edit down
- Any other grammar rules that I may have overlooked
Frankly speaking, it sometimes overlooks some mistakes or doesn’t provide the context or feedback. However, this happens very seldom and in most cases, Grammarly serves me great. That said, I strongly believe that Grammarly is a useful and affordable writing tool that belongs in your toolbox.